While our wireless devices are becoming more advanced than ever before, cybercriminals are becoming sophisticated in order to keep up. In fact, every 39 seconds there is a new cyberattack. Cybersecurity is how we protect networks, devices, and data from criminal use and unauthorized access. Many play a role in this protection. The entire wireless ecosystem—manufacturers, operating system, and app providers—work together to develop security features for wireless networks. Government entities, including the Federal Communications Commission (FCC), Federal Trade Commission (FTC), and the Department of Homeland Security (Cybersecurity and Infrastructure Agency) also play an important part in cybersecurity. However, when all is said and done, we hold the keys to our own data every time we unlock our wireless device. All of us share responsibility in protecting our digital information and protecting our devices from cybercriminals. Here is an in-depth look into the ways cybersecurity is being built into your devices, cybersecurity wireless features to look out for, and easy steps to help protect your private information on your devices:
Our Smartphones Are Smarter Than Ever Before
Remember our brick cellphones from the 90s? Well, a lot has changed since then when it comes to mobile security. Thankfully, wireless providers worked together to innovate and enhance cybersecurity for wireless devices, mobile operating systems, and applications. So what makes our smartphones even smarter? You can now expect to see more of these enhanced security features on your phone:
- Device anti-theft tools enable you to remotely locate, lock, and wipe your lost or stolen device.
- Enhanced wireless account controls provide a stronger account credential process, so you can log in with more confidence. This includes more options like two-step authentication with text message confirmations for enhanced security.
- Built-in malware-detection authenticates your mobile device software for an extra layer of protection.
- Integrated authentication systems leverage 5G speeds and encryption capabilities on your mobile devices.
Cybersecurity Updates on Android & iPhone You Should Know About
While we can expect factory-installed and built-in security features on our mobile devices, there are also some great cybersecurity updates for operating systems to look out for on Apple and Android. Here are some important security updates that will bolster your defenses against cybercriminals:
Cybersecurity Only Works If We Take Action
Even though our wireless devices, mobile networks, and providers are offering the latest cybersecurity advancements, it only works if we do our part to keep our devices safe. Here are easy ways you can help protect yourself from cybercriminals:
- Look for https:// in the website address bar.
- Do not click URLs from contacts you do not know.
- Report a suspicious text message to your wireless provider by forwarding it to SPAM (7726).
- Update your phone’s WiFi settings so that you are not automatically joining public WiFi networks.
- Always log out if you’re using a public device to access personal accounts.
Cybersecurity affects all Americans. Stay tuned to ACTwireless—we’ll update you if cybersecurity legislation crops up so that you can take action and make your voice heard! For more information and tips on cybersecurity, click here.